Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Shepherd's Harvest Festival


It's been several years since I was able to go to Llama Magic and to Shepherd's Harvest, but some things haven't changed. Namely, the weather (cold, windy and rainy — you'd think it was May or something ...) and the date (Mother's Day weekend). While waiting for Astri and JudyA. (with a special guest appearance by Pat!), I made a full pest of myself in the animal barns. Here is my livestock sampler. First, the alpacas and llamas:



And then, one building over, were the sheep and goats. keey-yewt!!



or handsome ...



or unusual ...


or dark and difficult to photograph:



It was as I stood ... and stood ... and stood in the eternal lunch line that the others arrived. Yay! One hot dog and a cup of OK coffee later (no slam intended, I'm just fussy*), we trooped off to the vendors' barn, where I nearly fainted from the opportunities for misbehavior a k a stash enhancement. It was love at first sight and my shopping was done when I found this:


1,440 yards of alpaca and cormo wool from Blue Hills Alpacas & Fiber Mill, of Bruce, Wis. It will be the stole in Rowan's Classic Alpaca book. JudyA., the yarn concierge, found me a nostespinne. It's a splendid, low-tech tool for winding yarn, especially if your other winder is a) buried in the yarn chest or b) you're traveling or c) you simply feel like winding by hand. They make lovely center-pull balls that look like dinosaur eggs.

The perfect ending to a three-day weekend? A wedding on Sunday evening: congratulations, Michael and Linda!

*please act a little surprised

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

holy, hairdo's, batman...if you had told me you were packin' a camera, i'd at least have combed my hair...
judy

Anonymous said...

Don't you just love alpacas? I love to hear them hum.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...